Monday, 3 July 2017

Cinema Sundays - Bring Back The Big Screen



Follow

Hello Everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, I know I did and that is actually the subject of today's chat. 

Sometimes I can't decide what to do at the weekend, with Mr Sparkles and Mini Sparkles to factor into plans, it has to be something everyone will enjoy - which at times can be no mean feat! I like to go out because I work at home all week (bloggers gonna blog and all that), Mr Sparkles likes to relax (he spends all week working in a physically and emotionally draining job) and Mini Sparkles likes to be entertained all of the time!!! (being a child and all, this kind of comes with the territory!) A lot of the time we end up going out for a quick look around some shops or a country walk followed by a DVD at home but this weekend we were fed up of the routine and decided on a trip to the cinema at Fort Kinnaird in Edinburgh.




Having not been to the cinema is a while, I had forgotten how much I used to love seeing a movie on the big screen, I used to frequent my local cinema every single week, sometimes twice a week, not just for the new releases but for the overall experience.
I've always been a movie fan, I remember being 3 years old and wanting to watch Sleeping Beauty over and over again, that graduated to other Disney movies and I still love settling down to a good film but I also remember my first trip to the cinema and my mind was blown.



I was in primary school when the 20th anniversary of Grease arrived (1998) and my parents took me to see a screening of it at our local cinema, I'd seen Grease countless times but this time still stands out as if it were yesterday, the standing in line for our tickets, picking our snacks (you can't beat a big carton of popcorn at the cinema), even then finding our seats was such an exciting new experience for me and then don't even get me started on the amazement I felt at seeing how big the screen was combined with the atmosphere when the lights went down and the surround sound started to immerse us into the cinematic world. 



Things have, of course, changed a bit since my first cinema trip in 1998, the screens are bigger, better and clearer. Odeon cinemas offer a HUGE range of snacks now (topped popcorn anyone? No? How about a tasty ice cream or a massive hot dog?) and the seating is way better positioned with comfier chairs, (back in my first cinema experiences, the chairs used to be all in a row so if someone tall sat in front of you, then you had a head in your line of sight for the duration which, thankfully, is a thing of the past in most modern cinemas). Odeon also offer 'Premier Seating' in a lot of their cinemas which ensure you're in prime seating location with more width, leg room and comfort... I do love me some premier seats.



For Mini Sparkles there was a 'Kids Mix' snack option which was a child sized portion of popcorn, a little drink and some sweets for £4.15 which was really cute and kids love having their own portion of things don't they? Again though, I'm talking specifically about Odeon here so I can't say what other cinema chains offer in way of children's snacks.



We saw Despicable Me 3 and we had a fantastic time, the film had loads of laugh out loud moments (and I'm a hard one to please!) and a general good feel to it but most importantly, we all enjoyed the experience because I got my wish to get out of the house, Mr Sparkles was able to sit back and relax, Mini Sparkles was well and truly entertained and we all love the cinema. Huge win!

I can't wait to go back to the cinema again, the Odeon trailers have suitably excited me for some upcoming releases and so I know I'll be standing in that ticket line again soon.

Thank you so much to Odeon Cinema at Fort Kinnaird, Edinburgh for having us all, it was a great afternoon.

Have you seen any good movies lately? Do you love the cinema experience? 

Rosy xx




*Tickets and snacks very kindly provided by Odeon Cinemas, all views are my own.
SHARE:

72 comments

  1. Going to a movie at the theater is such a treat- my boyfriend and I usually hit the bar for a quick beer/glass of wine before! Great classic date night idea. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a nice little glass of wine prior too :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  2. Man I love the movies, I've been maybe three times in the past two weeks. I'm nearly addicted haha.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going,I don't go too often though due to the insane price!

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to the cinema in a while too! I really want to see Despicable Me 3 too :)
    The Fancy Cats

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cinema is a great place that the whole family can enjoy! Looks like you guys had a lovely outing at the Odeon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you had a nice time ! There's something special about seeing a film at the cinema :) I love that odeon does the kids food deal because whenever me and my partner take her little cousin to the cinema it's nice to be able to get her a kid sized version for a treat :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    https://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the mini food was so cute :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. I love it so much! Great post!

    Bloglovin
    STYLEFORMANKIND.COM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post babe! xx

    www.fromluxewithlove.com
    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/from-luxe-with-love-14590195

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were talking about this with my fiance the other day, there aren't any good movies at the moment and it is so sad since we love going to the movies. I mean, that bucket of pop corn, need I say more?? x

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm all about the snacks!

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  9. I love going to the cinema and the whole experience, but I admit that it's been a while since I went last time. Oh, and I miss all those treats while there! :D I should start planning a date for myself haha :)

    Sabina | I've Got Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you should definitely go :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  10. Great post lovely, I like going to the cinema, I haven't been since May but we do enjoy going as a couple and as a family too, the worst thing is the price unfortunately but still an enjoyable experience xxx

    Zoe ♥ MammafulZo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree, it's bloody expensive!

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  11. I really want to watch Despicable Me 3 sometime soon, I love the others! I do enjoy going to the cinema every now and again, especially when it's not as busy, I think the last time was just over a month ago xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, I hope you get to see it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  12. We haven't been to the movies in ages---but it's such a great field trip for everyone!!
    My husband absolutely loves the premium seating especially when you can reserve it ahead of time!! And the popcorn?? It's a must have!!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's all about the popcorn for me :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  13. A cinema is always a cool idea!
    Kisses, Paola.
    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember when the cinema seats were all in rows too! They're so much better now you can actually see no matter who's in front of you! Great post, so glad you had a good time!xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those old seats were rubbish weren't they haha.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  15. I love seeing your cinema! It's so cool! I haven't been to the movies in awhile. Like you, I use to go all the time. Will have to get back. It can be so much fun and relaxing.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go all the time too but lately it's been super expensive.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  16. I adore watching movies with my husband, we often go to the cinema for a date.
    I haven't seen this movie, but it looks that you had a lot of fun:)

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun and I do love a good cinema date :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  17. Ooooh, this theater looks lovely! What a fun thing to do for a family outing -- I still fondly remember going to the movies as a kid, and how much more exciting it was than just popping a video in the VCR!

    xx
    Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it was all about the overall experince wasn't it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  18. I don't remember the last time I went to the cinema. It's certainly a treat I deserve soon.

    Her Hive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely needed now and again :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  19. I love the cinema!! And wow you saw Grease on the big screen? Totes Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed, and it was glorious :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  20. perfect!
    INTERNATIONAL 100$ GIVEAWAY! check out: YOUNG BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love going to the cinema! It's the perfect date for me and my boyfriend and we go probably once a month! Loved your post and the cinema is the perfect activity for a family too! Xx

    Beth - http://bethcarney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good few hours :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  22. I haven't been to the movies in so long but this place looks awesome! Sounds like you had a great time!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lovely time, you should definitely go :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  23. I used to go to the movies allll the time, but now for some reasons I never really find anything worth wanting to see in a theater!

    Sam / My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite time of year for the cinema is Autumn when all the scary films come out :)

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
      My Instagram | Instagram

      Delete
  24. Amazing post!
    Have a nice week!
    Gil Zetbase

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha yes you got change it up sometime but yes sometimes at the end of the work week you are so tired you jus want to lay about at home. So funny but this theater looks like the one I take my nephews to.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I definitely like a bit of both :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  26. This is fascinating! Honestly, it is. I haven't been to a cinema in so many years. I don't even remember what it's like. This is lovely though, and I'm glad you and your family had fun!

    amberelb.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love going to the cinema too! It can be so expensive in NYC (I paid $20 for wonder woman... crazyiness!) but it definitely worth going to once in a while. Also popcorn is a must!

    xx Pia
    http://gymbagsandjetlags.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love movies and watching them on the big screen is my favorite!!
    Great post!


    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love a day out at the cinema. Life is always larger on the big screen!

    xx Yasmin
    http://banglesandbungalows.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awww I love the Minions movies! I haven't been to the cinema since having a baby... I really do miss that :( Time to plan for a date night! xx

    http://www.crystalchiffon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I stopped going to the movies as much for a while because it ended up costing a lot haha, but this post made me wanna go again! I love the kids snacks, so cute.

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like you had a fun time!! I haven't been to the theatre in while but still need to go see Wonder Woman! Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

    Best,
    Christina
    Looks by Lau

    ReplyDelete
  33. A good movie experience at the theater is so classic!

    Beauty & Colour | Vegan Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  34. Topped popcorn sounds yummy! I have been wanting to see Beatriz at Dinner with Connie Britton and Salma Hayek!

    x,
    S | Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love watching movies and going to the cinema. Haven't done it in a while, but hey the weekend is coming!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such an interesting post! Thanks for sharing! I´m also a huge movie lover!

    XO

    Daria

    http://www.dbkstylez.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sounds like you had such a blast! I like to catch a late night show now and then. I'm looking forward to see Wonder Woman.
    Dora
    http://www.adropofindigo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. great post xx

    http://the-fight-for-a-dream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. ohhh i also love going to movies. i want to see Spiderman Homecoming. It premiered here in my country last night :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net

    ReplyDelete
  40. We love going to the cinema - there's truly no better way to see a film! But because it can be quite expensive, we'll wait for offers and save ourselves some money! Also I LOVE the Despicable Me films! I don't even have the excuse of a child, I just think they're brilliant!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
  41. I watched it few days ago and loved it! It was so funny film x

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's been ages since I went to the cinema -I fear I'd be weeing constantly at the moment haha- but I do miss it. I think the first film I ever saw was The Lion King in 1994. And I'm still traumatised about Simba's Dad.

    I'm now craving sweet and salty popcorn! I really want to see Despicable Me 3, I loved the others.

    Amy - http://amyevans.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love watching movies in the cinema, I actually find that i rarely watch movies I haven't watched before at home. Something about being in the cinema makes the movie look better and I can watch it without getting fidgety.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm glad to hear you had a lovely time! I haven't been to the cinema in ages because 1) I've started a new job so have very little spare time and 2) It's quite expensive sometimes... But I totally agree with you it's amazing seeing stuff on the big screen, getting all the treats! I will have to try and make some time!

    Lauren x Huggled

    ReplyDelete
  45. I hardly go to the cinema either but when I do it's a big novelty factor especially buying popcorn xx

    franklyflawless.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. I need to watch Despicable Me 3 - we are a big fan of a series and just cannot wait to see the newest adventures. Iga x www.igaberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Is there anything better than movie popcorn... because I really don't think there is.
    Its been a while since I last went to a cinema, but I'm thinking of going to an open-air cinema in Greece.

    Steph
    https://socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig