Tuesday, 27 June 2017

The Endless Autumn | That Time I Read Erotic Fiction




Follow

Hello Everyone,

Now, I assume you've seen the title of this post, and no, it wasn't clickbait. Today we are talking about a book I recently read called The Endless Autumn and yes, it falls under the category of 'Erotic Fiction'.
I've been lucky enough to have been provided with a guest post from the author Annabelle Knight which you'll find at the end of this post right after my review, so now I'll cut the preamble and get into it lest this turns into a 200 page chat.

"So what is The Endless Autumn about?" I hear you cry, well friends, here is the blurb, please familiarise yourself at leisure and then we will continue:

Autumn thought she had everything: a gorgeous stud of a boyfriend, a practical if unexciting PA job at Thorne PR, a savvy best friend, and a soon-to-be earned journalism diploma.
But things in her perfectly constructed life shift when Autumn finds a tell-tale text – shattering her home and work life.
Needing a new job and apartment, Autumn meets the glamorous but mysterious Celine, who offers her a job at Encounters Events. But, as usual, Autumn hasn’t done her homework and finds herself in an unusual situation: one that sees her as a pawn in a whirling sexual universe of fantasy rooms, high flyers, and the occasional threesome. How will she escape? Or does this new underworld offer Autumn the ultimate liberation?
Annabelle Knight’s debut novel The Endless Autumn is a sizzling, steamy and sexually sinister story of how a girl next door, unwittingly – but perhaps not unwillingly – explores the fringes of desire and release.

So now you're in the know, what can you expect from the story? Well to be honest, I wasn't expecting what I found within the pages of The Endless Autumn. I went into this story expecting Fifty Shades of Grey as this is the only other book within the 'Erotic Fiction' genre that I have read. Let me happily assure you that this book is nothing like Fifty Shades and I feel a little embarrassed that I assumed it would be.


For starters, Annabelle Knight can really deliver a story, there was plenty going on within these pages to keep anyone entertained and so the sex scenes felt relevant to the development of Autumn as a character, rather than the cringey, awkward and unbelievable sex scenes I've seen in books by other authors that preceded this one. Annabelle Knight really delivers a story you want to read.
I followed Autumn's journey with interest but that doesn't mean I found her particularly likeable, at times her teenage style tantrums irked me but that is a personal thing, I just have a hard time handling people acting out, and boy, does Autumn act out! 
This to me, however, seemed purposeful to the storyline as a protagonist would need to embody the hedonistic and self involved traits so common with the stereotypical teen to truly have readers believe that she would walk willingly into such an unusual set up after discovering a life shattering secret and so I actually liked that element of the character building.
As for the sex scenes, they start off relatively tame and become increasingly hardcore as the novel progresses but don't be fooled, they're not the main focus of the story, they simply are a part of the world Autumn finds herself within. Personally, I found the very last sex scene far too much for me to read, BDSM isn't something I'm familiar with and I definitely found myself outside my comfort zone, but again this is personal taste and the earlier sex scenes didn't hold that 'terror' element... Or I'm a complete prude, you decide.

Overall this would be a great summer read if you're interested in the genre or you're wanting something to dip your toes into if, like me, you're a bit of a novice when it comes to erotic fiction because this is an easy and engaging read, possibly not for the feint hearted due to the graphic nature of the text but I'd recommend this as a good holiday read for anyone wanting a good story with a bit of something... shall we say, 'extra'.


Annabelle Knight
Annabelle Knight is a sex and relationship expert. She's appeared on many TV programmes such as This Morning, The O'Brien Show and Big Brother's Bit on the Side. She's featured regularly in magazines and newspapers and can often be found frequenting the nation's airwaves offering sex advice and discussing hot topics.

Guest Post From Annabelle Knight:


 Five tips for budding writers.

Writing for me is a deeply personal and in-depth experience, so much so that when it came time to put my book, The Endless Autumn, out there I put it off for far longer than I should have. Mainly through trepidation of what people would think, but also because I just wasn’t sure what to expect. It’s with that in mind that I’ve penned my top five tips for writing and getting published.

1. Start with an idea. I find it best to try and summarise my entire book in one sentence. Then expand on that and write a paragraph. Once that’s done I break the book into sections and write in more detail before going on to planning my chapters. I also like to have decent character biographies penned as well, this helps me to really get to know my characters and makes deciding what their thoughts, feelings or actions easier to write. 
2. Read, read and read again. Good writers are usually big readers. Take the time to get to know your genre, get a feel for what works and what doesn’t.
3. Do your research. There are hundreds of publishers and literary agents out there, and in today’s modern world are loads of ways to get an idea out there. The key is to do your research well and find out which publishing route works best for you. If you decide to go traditional, it helps to have a literary agent, as most of the big publishing houses won’t accept unsolicited manuscripts.
4. Expect and accept rejection. It’s just the way things are, I had a couple of agents explain why my book, The Endless Autumn wasn’t for them but mainly you’ll find that a generic ‘no thanks’ email will land in your inbox with no explanation or constructive feedback at all.
5. Have a friend read your manuscript before you send it out. At this point your book should be almost there in terms of content but it definitely helps to have an outsider go through it, preferably someone who enjoys your genre. Take their feedback on board and if necessary make some changes before you send it off.
6. Remember that a no doesn’t mean that you’re no good. Both the Harry Potter and Twilight books were initially rejected and went on to sell millions.


So that wraps up one of the longest posts I've posted to date, a huge thanks to Annabelle Knight for this brilliant guest post and the chance to read and enjoy her work.

Have you read The Endless Autumn? Are you interested in giving it a go?

Speak soon.

Rosy xx

SHARE:

29 comments

  1. Replies
    1. It's more of a book review not really a style review, n'est pas?

      Delete
  2. Ooh, sounds like an intriguing read! Not really a genre I would usually go for, but sounds like I should maybe try something new :)

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! That's a genre I haven't tried yet. LOL

    I love the tips for budding writers. Really helps.

    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great tips aren't they :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  4. very brave of you you big prude :P

    I always expect cheesy titles and even cheesy covers for erotic fiction but it sounds like this is neither, I'm intrigued...

    Hannah @ The Northern Writes | www.thenorthernwrites.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it's one you could easily read on the bus without drawing attention to yourself.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  5. Loved the plot, it sounds like a great story to read! Wonder what will Autumn go through till the end of the book :). Wishing you a lovely day. xx

    Andreea,
    couturezilla.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good plot :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. I'm always wary of these types of books so it was interesting to hear the sex scenes added to character development and weren't just awkward for the sake of it!

    http://amyevans.co.uk - Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I'm not a fan of awkward sex scenes that feel like they don't fit the storyline.

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
      My Instagram | Instagram

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great story and what a pretty cover too!
    Have a lovely weekend :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was working in a bookshop many years ago and I borrowed a similar book to read, but it felt pretty uncomfortable but I guess I was much younger then and I think I was shy haha!! Sounds like an interesting read.

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think if I read this when I was younger it would have horrified me, I'm still not huge on the sex scenes but I enjoyed the rest of the writing.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  9. My initial thought was Fifty Shades as well, so thanks for clearing that up! I haven't read this, but if it's got a genuine story line like you say, then I'm interested. Why not?

    amberelb.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Amber, if there is a genuine story line I'm in! Sounds pretty interesting :)
    LA VEINE

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds interesting and a really great post :) http://www.bauchlefashion.com/2017/06/animal-instinct-for-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post dear!

    http://iameleine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never actually ever read any erotic fiction (not even fifty shades!) although I'm intrigued with the blurb so it might be something to look into - I am doing a 50 books in a year challenge after all! Some great tips by Annabelle too!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one to try, I'm not normally a huge fan of the genre but I liked this.

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
      My Instagram | Instagram

      Delete
  14. The only book in that genre which are read was the first book in the Fifty Shades series. As I didn't like it, I didn't carry on. The Endless Autumn sounds like a great book though. I'm quite curious about it now.

    Her Hive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 Shades was terrible I don't know how it ever got published.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the recommendation! Fifty Shades is the only other comparison I have too. So it's nice to hear this may be better written. I'll have to check this out.

    xx Yasmin
    http://banglesandbungalows.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely much better written!

      Rosy xx

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig