Monday, 5 June 2017

Haunted House Update


Hello Everyone,

Today I am bringing you a little follow up to a post I published a few months back which was called 5 Truths of Living in a Haunted House. That post brought me a few emails and questions that I have decided to collectively answer now and also bring you a scary story from within my house, make sure you've read the previous post too so that you're fully up to date.






As I've stated previously, I have a sneaking suspicion that my house may be haunted, now I know this will sound utterly ridiculous to a lot of you but for those of you who are open minded, this might be quite an interesting post.

In my previous haunted house post, I mentioned that creepy things began to occur within a few months of moving in, at first I ignored everything and came up with rational explanations for unusual events. I was always convincing myself that I was just tired and had done these things myself absentmindedly or the strange noises were due to me getting used to the old house noises and the new surroundings I was in and that having previously been born and brought up in a large city, I just wasn't accustomed to the noises of the countryside.


When I say countryside, I don't mean that I now live in a pretty little village with lots of green space, I mean I've moved out of villages and towns and there's actually nothing around for miles, there's my house and then.... nothing. Due to the rural area I live, we don't have street lights and so when night time comes, it is pitch black and you could hear a pin drop in the silence, add to this the fact that my house is around 200 plus years old and you've got yourself a recipe for some creepy evenings if you let your mind wander too much.

One of the questions I was asked a lot was "Why don't you just move?" and I'm going to be honest, there's a few reasons I haven't moved yet.

  1. I really love my house, it is perfect for me and my lifestyle, I love the quiet that the countryside brings and, believe it or not, I love the darkness at night that can be so pitch black you can't tell if your eyes are open or shut, reading and writing are two of my favourite hobbies and the silence really helps with that.
  2. I own the house so moving would be a huge upheaval as I'd have to get my house on the market etc etc, once you own a house, the moving process is even more stressful and I'm not sure I'm ready for that stress just yet.
  3. I can deal with 'the others' for now. I'm not easily scared, there's been a huge amount of things that have happened in the last few years that I've lived here but I can only think of about three times that I've actually felt my blood run cold and had to sleep with the light on, when you hear that several things can happen in one week, those three horrific times aren't worth moving for yet.
So I hope that has answered a couple of your questions and for those of you who are wondering what my house looks like (I'm sure many of you are picturing a house with brickwork showing, paint peeling and dark corners) I can assure you that my house looks nothing like that, my whole house is pretty and pastel coloured inside, I recently posted a look at my living room after I redecorated it to match the rest of my decor so you can get a feel for the inside: Pastel Country Living Room Transformation

.


So now that I've answered some questions and given you some background the least I can do is give you an example of the kind of things that can occur without warning in my house, enjoy.

It's 10pm and I've been catching up on blog comments and replying to some emails sent by some of my favourite readers, it's really warm and I'm sat in shorts and t-shirt and I'm debating getting a glass of oat milk when suddenly, it begins.
It starts with a weird feeling of being watched, I get goosebumps and look around but as usual, I see nothing. I try and shake the feeling and remind myself that I am a rational human being and I'm being ridiculous, but as I am playing this mantra in my mind the dogs begin to growl at the space around us. The air starts to feel charged with electricity, I almost can feel something is about to happen but I'm not sure what.
I put a hand on the big dog's head and tell him that it's fine, of course, he knows I'm telling lies. The temperature in the room has dropped dramatically and I'm suddenly freezing in my pajamas, I look towards the door leading into the corridor waiting to see something, but as usual, the event happens beyond my peripherals and the door behind me slams, I spin around and rush to the door, hoping to convince myself there's yet another rational explanation for this normally heavy and unmoving door to have slammed shut but before I reach it, the lights go out and a bang happens in my downstairs bathroom. I reach for the light switch but before I get there I hear a further bang and the sound of running water and then, the lights come back on.
The atmosphere slowly returns to normal and I walk calmly towards the bathroom and turn off all of the taps that are now running then walk into the kitchen to find the cupboard doors are all open. The whole process probably lasted no more than a minute or two but I feel like it went on for hours.
I close the cupboards and get myself that glass of oat milk and return to my laptop, the dogs are settled again and I just carry on answering my emails, convincing myself that I imagined it all but the door to the back room is still closed.

I know that this sounds far fetched, believe me, I know! I wouldn't be sure I'd believe it either if someone told me this was happening in their house, come to think of it, I'm not sure I believe myself, I still think there must be a rational explanation somewhere but it is really weird and really creepy when stuff like the above happens.
I hope you enjoyed this post, as I say, things happen a lot in here and what you just read is just a snippet.

Let me know if you've ever experienced anything like this yourself.

Speak soon

Rosy xx

SHARE:

40 comments

  1. Nop, nope, nope, nope. I would be so far gone, you wouldnt see my for dust! Haha. Your house does seem to sound pretty fantastic though, so maybe I would try and live with it..... nope, no I couldn't lol. Im such a wimp that if this had happened to me i would be a living wreck lol.
    Well done you for being so brave though. Have you thought about getting someone in to see if there is something there?
    Kate x
    themakeupartistschoice.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaat!? Like Kate (above) I'd be goneeee! I really don't know how to feel about this. I can only commend you for being brave, and pray for your safety *covers face* It really is an interesting one.

    Do you have neighbours? Ever asked if they have similar experiences?

    Funmi x
    www.funmialabi.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This was so interesting. I always hear about this kind of stuff on tv, but never knew anyone that actually experienced it first hand. I definitely understand how you feel. I would be so scared to not have anyone nearby, but if you feel comfortable thats all that matters. Let other family members know.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Acccckk, I would be freaking out. I'm not sure I could live with that myself as I'm too much of a scared-y cat. But I know what you mean about liking the countryside! I grew up in a rural area so it always brings a sense of calm and nostalgia whenever I go back.

    Sam | My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl. I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in your last post, but I experience things like this too. I always have. However, finding all of my cabinets open would have me stepping outside of the house for awhile. That's a lot. At most, I've only ever had one open at a time. No thanks lol.

    amberelb.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosy, I love my house and all...but if this was me, I'd be out of here.
    This is too much! Taps running on their own accord? No thank you!

    What happens if you're away and the taps are left running?

    You're brave!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh definitely not questioning you on this one. I find it weird people do period. That's just me though, I do believe in paranormal and all. You're house sounds so idyllic though. I've always dreamed of a place in the middle of nowhere, thiugh more as a weekend home than full time one hahaha. Being so isolated has its charms but being in the pitch dark of night not so much. Have you tried a sage stick to cleanse the air? I don't know if it will get rid of spirits or not but I don't think they cost too much so it might be something to look into as a diy ghost clearer hahaha

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so scary - I think I would have moved out by now!
    You're so brave, but other than your 'cohabitants', the house sounds idyllic!
    Julia x
    http://www.thevelvetrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be very scared and I would move! Especially since I'se seen the movie visions ;) You are very brave and I get your reasons to stay in your home! Hey maybe the others are all nice :) xoxo

    www.naomella.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so spooky! I can't believe you've have experiences in multiple houses, maybe they're drawn to you?
    So many heavenly ideas, your mom is a lucky lady!

    NEW POST | Instagram | Blogger Tools

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a little scary but def an interesting post!

    www.seenaskristine.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy smokes you went through that and you didn't run away from your house!? You have much more courage then me! It would be cool to do research, see if you can find out if anything bad happened years ago in the home. Otherwise you can always have a psychic come to your home to see if they can speak to the spirits or find out why they would be doing that.

    I'm a firm believer in ghosts and spirits but I freak out easily, so congrats to you for having so much more courage!

    www.sustainablysavvy.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing post!
    Have a nice evening!
    Gil Zetbase

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I would be so scared! You are definitely more brave then me! :)

    http://roadesque.com
    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow the cupboards opening would scare the crap out of me. But you're made of something stronger!

    xx Yasmin
    http://banglesandbungalows.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spirits can be jerks. Don't let them get a rise out of you. Sooner or later they'll stop messing with you, and maybe then you guys can all start a book club together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so wild! I've always thought the house i grew up in was haunted as well. It's def a creepy feeling!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wouldn't stay there if you pay me a million!!! I get easily scared, only reading this post gave me goosebumps and I was looking around my room to see any strange movements haha!!

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know one thing for sure... I am not going to be a buyer for your house. Things like that give me not only goosebumps but also just purely terrify me. I wonder what's the history of your house. Do you know? Iga www.igaberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing Rosy. It must be so difficult to leave a house you own and adore. However I am not one to want to star in my Roanoake Nightmare haha.

    x,
    Chanel | Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds so scary, it's like something you'd see on Paranormal Activity haha! Props to you for staying there, as I know I couldn't!xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds scary, but absolutely interesting at same time!!!
    Such a cool experience!
    Kisses, Paola.
    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so intrigued by your story (I read your previous post too), and I totally believe you. I heard of such things before, but never experienced them myself or knew someone that did. Glad you shared your story and I'd love to read more about other occurrences you had perhaps. It's good that you can accept the presence, I probably wouldn't be able to :)

    Sabina | I've Got Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, this sounds really frighteningly, but so interesting too! You are so brave!

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow...Rosy!
    I'm not sure what I'd do. I'm quite a wimp when it comes to scary things, but it makes a great story!!!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG!!! I would poop my pants, the first house I lived in I think was haunted, I didn't experience the exact same things as you but things would fall off the shelves, cupboard doors opening, banging, doors closing and that cold feeling and feeling like someone was watching. It's horrible, luckily for me it was rented and I was in the middle of buying my house, so I moved out but I was told that young females can attract spirits. Theres definitely something in our next door neighbours house, my dad decorated it and saw it and we hear it all the time, spooky!! xxx

    Zoe ♥ MammafulZo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remember reading your last post. I can only say that you are a brave lady. I would be so freaked out if this happened at my place. I would move out as soon as possible.

    Her Hive

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved reading this story and could only imagine what it felt like. So freaky and crazy at the same time.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Okay, all jokes aside (I don't have any for this, trust me), you should write a book about your occurrences. Seriously though girl, you'd be surprised how many people would buy it, including myself. As creepy and crazy as it sounds, I would love to spend a few days at your house, as things like this have always interested me. I don't know if you've ever heard of The Myrtles, but it's one of the top 10 most haunted houses in the world, that's actually in my hometown. I live for stuff like this! I'm also probably the craziest person reading this. I wouldn't move either!

    http://www.thebeautybeau.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'd be soooo scared if i were you, living in a house like that.

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness. I have chills just reading this. Major respect to you for sticking it out, you're so brave! x

    www.maisymeow.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This sounds so creepy, but I think it's kind of amazing and adds to the magic of the house. It's clearly got a lot of history and so I don't think I'd want to move either. Although I'm happy to admit I'd be pretty terrified at times!

    https://amyevans.co.uk - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  34. I got the chills just by reading this. As much as I love the peace and quiet setting you have there and beautiful view and castle looking house and all that, this would scare the sh*t out of me hahah

    xo Honey - blog Royal Lifestyle - Twitter - Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  35. OH MY GOSH!!! This is scary, exciting and cool all at the same time. Loved reading this!

    xx,ELise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my gosh.. I commend you for not letting it get to you! That is super creepy, but cool! I don't think I could manage living there so kudos to you!! I know having a dog is sometimes great because you feel protected, but also effing creepy when their ears perk up, stare into the distance at nothing, and start barking.

    xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

    ReplyDelete
  37. First of all your make over looks amazing ! The others might even feel welcome ;)
    I can relate to living in a haunted place believe it or not. When I was about 10 we lived in Germany in a very old home that dated previous to WWII. The owner died there and we always thought he as haunting it. We could hear someone walking down the wooden stairs, be standing right in front of them and see no one. The dog always barked at corners and empty walls... of and that feeling of being watched..

    ReplyDelete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig