Monday, 10 April 2017

Guest Post From Felicity Everett - Author of The People at Number 9


Hello Everyone,

Today I have something a little different for you, a guest post from Felicity Everett, the author of the exciting new fiction: The People at Number 9

Review


The People at Number 9 is the story of Sara and Neil who are entranced by new neighbours Lou and Gav with their artistic tendencies and glamorous lives but are they really all that they seem?



I'll hand over to Felicity now who will be talking to you about creativity.

Bye for now,

Rosy xx

One of the key themes of my new book The People at Number 9 is creativity. Is it something we’re all born with, or the preserve of a privileged few? Does it only manifest in the realm of the arts  – or can a computer programmer be creative? Can a footballer? And is it something that requires personal sacrifice, or the sacrifice of others, to fulfill?

I have a love/hate relationship with the idea of creativity, as does my protagonist, Sara. She feels herself to be a creative person, but she’s in a dead end job, writing consumer questionnaires (a little bit creative though, right?). When she meets her new neighbours, Gavin (a sculptor) and Lou (a film maker) she sees what she thinks is the real deal. These people ooze creativity. They not only express it in their work, but in their lives  - the way they parent their children (Dashiel, Arlo and Zuleika, natch), the way they dress, the parties they give.  Sara’s hobby is creative writing, but until she meets Gavin and Lou, it never occurs to her that it could be more than a hobby. Gradually, through Gavin and Lou’s example and nurturing, Sara starts to believe that she and her family could lead a creative life too. They decide to home-school their kids, Sara leaves her job in order to write a novel, she dumps her old friends with their book clubs and their boring dinner parties, and starts going to film premiers and arty clubsDoes it end well? That’d be telling.

Ok, I’ll admit it, I’m setting Sara up for a fall. Part of me thinks her new friends are charlatans, who are using their charisma and limited talent to exploit the people around them and perpetuate the idea of their own superiority. But what if they’re not? What if Gavin’s sculptures really say something about the modern condition? What if he’s the Brancusi or the Barbara Hepworth of his day? Would it be OK then, if he walked over a few people to produce art, which might bring pleasure and enlightenment to generationsAnd Lou? What if her short film is not a load of pretentious twaddle, but a work of genius? If that’s the case, then maybe it’s actually a privilege, of sorts, to have looked after her kids while she did the final edit, as Sara does in the book. Wouldn’t that make Sara a sort of mid-wife to genius, in a way? 

Well probably not. On the whole, I think it’s a con, the idea that you have to suffer for your art – let alone make others suffer for it. I think there are probably plenty of artists and writers and musicians (not to mention footballers, and computer programmers and chemists and chefs) who have enriched our lives with their creativity without being an a******e along the way. And then my husband comes into my study to bring me a cup of tea and I hear myself say,

“For God’s sake can you not barge in when I’m working, I’ve completely lost my train of thought now!”
SHARE:

76 comments

  1. Wow, sounds like a great book and totally up my street!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good book but im just not a bookaholic...
    http://glamforgood.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually prefer urban fantasies but this one is very intriguing! Thank you for sharing!

    - Gretch of GG Memochou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read many fantasty books :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  4. Haha, the last paragraph made me laugh - I think we'd all like to sincerely hope we don't make others suffer when being creative, though who knows if that's the case! This book sounds very interesting and Rosy, I love the idea of having the author share their thoughts on your blog - this was a great read :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed having the author do a guest post on her own book :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  5. Okay, the fact that it's about creativity is enough for me to say yes to this book!
    Thank you for sharing this with us :)
    Happy Monday!
    xx Elisa
    Francine's Place | Diy & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, you're extremely creative, I love the DIY on your blog :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. Absolutely wonderful!

    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  7. The storyline sounds intriguing!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow amazing <3 Great post
    http://wooho11.blogspot.com/ - i invite <3 follow me-will respond with

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a subject I've thought a lot about myself, so I found this fascinating! Will have to give this one a read. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you manage it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  10. Wonderful post, love it! ♥
    Maybe follow for follow? :)

    veronicalucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great book! I must give it a read! Thanks for sharing!

    Darriyan xx
    www.darriyancateland.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds super intriguing and catchy for sure!
    xo, Lily
    Beauty With Lily

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems like a great book! I'm going to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  14. This sounds like an amazing story! I'm so curious to hear how it ends. I hear so many people thinking about dropping everything and becoming an artist. I always wonder how that works out for them.
    Dora
    http://www.adropofindigo.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always interested in creative pursuits too :)

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
      My Instagram | Instagram

      Delete
  15. I never read this before but looks great :)
    http://www.bauchlefashion.com/2017/04/trend-alert-sunshine-yellow.html
    http://brandobeauty.uk/stripes-attitude-spring/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to read this! Thanks for sharing babe.

    X Merel
    www.andathousandwords.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post! Thanks!

    http://evgphotos.com/2017/04/10/wishlist-zaful/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the plot, it sounds like a great book! I'll have to check it out. Have a nice week! x

    Andreea,
    http://couturezilla.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great selection!
    Have a nice evening!
    Gil Zetbase

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. It was really quite different.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  21. I need to give this book a go! Today I'm down the library, hopefully I'll find it. Thank you and hope you are having a great week! xx

    María
    www.mintsouls.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds amazing!!
    http://imogen-may.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like such an interesting read! Thanks for sharing and I hope you both have a wonderful day!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ive been looking for a good book to read! So thankyou for this!
    Kate xx

    themakeupartistschoice.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post! And the book sounds like something I would love to read! Thanks for sharing with us! :D
    Stella
    www.stellaasteria.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. The book sounds so compelling and it was really interesting to get Felicity's insider's take on it as well. I'll have to add this to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you get round to it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  27. Sounds like a very interesting book! Would love to figure out how Sara turns out!


    http://www.desiringsme.com/diy-ruffle-sleeves/

    ReplyDelete
  28. So special to read a post about a book, written by the book's author! :)
    LA VEINE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was pretty excited to host this one :)

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
      My Instagram | Instagram

      Delete
  29. que libro mas interesante, no lo conocia y una foto super bonita

    ReplyDelete
  30. That sounds like an interesting book, I'd definitely like to give it a try! These days I spend so much time in front of the computer that I even forgot the feeling of immersing myself in a good book.

    Sabina | I've Got Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started having the same problem, I now make sure I set aside time for reading :)

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
      My Instagram | Instagram

      Delete
  31. Sounds interesting!

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG!!! I can only say THANK YOU!!! will buy it straight away :) Love that kind of reading!!

    Kisses from the Caribbean <3 <3 <3

    www.lacaleya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  33. That is the kind of books that gives me incredible heartache because I can identify with the longing for creativity and a different life, but you can see the unhappy ending right from the beginning.
    As for creativity, I had the discussion in the family recently and I do not belive that your creative expression gives you the right to disregard other people and their feelings.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this comment so much, it's so common for the grass to look greener on the other side!

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
      My Instagram | Instagram

      Delete
  34. Sounds great!

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, this is another take on creativity. Interesting. I've always thought I was creative until I was told I was not. It challenged me to prove that I am right. Creativity I learned in my experience is not always expressed in forms of "art" that we know like film making, sculptures, painting, drawing, etc. It can be expressed in so many different ways. I work for the government by the way and I handle social work and public relations. It does require some form of creativity just not the usual forms we are familiar with. :)

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl
    YouTube
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let anyone tell you you're not creative, we are all creative in certain ways :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  36. You have a wonderful blog <3
    https://outfitsandmakeupblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/current-trend-report-denim/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sounds like a very good book! :)

    xo
    Alyssa // STYLE VANITY // INSTAGRAM ❤️

    ReplyDelete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig