Monday, 19 September 2016

The Deviants by C.J. Skuse



Hello Everyone,

I'm back with another book review  and today we are talking about The Deviants by C.J. Skuse - a YA Thriller that is being released on the 22nd September in the UK.


As much as I love the thriller genre (see my YouTube Channel which is pretty much exclusively book reviews and storytime videos) I have almost exclusively read adult fiction, but, when I heard about The Deviants, the story sounded really exciting and I found myself settling down to read my first YA Thriller since my early teens, and let me tell you, it was well worth the wait.

THEN Ella, Max, Corey, Fallon and Zane. The Fearless Five, inseparable as children growing up in a sleepy English seaside town. But when Max's older sister is killed, the friendship seems to die with her. NOW Only Max and Ella are in touch, still best friends and a couple since they were thirteen. But Ella is hiding things - like why she's afraid to take their relationship to the next level. And when underdog Corey is bullied, the Fearless Five are brought back together again, teaming up to wreak havoc and revenge on those who have wronged them. But when the secrets they are keeping can no longer be kept quiet, will their fearlessness be enough to save them from themselves?

This was everything you could want in a thriller, thought provoking and diverse characters, a gradual building of tension and an ending that you don't see coming, The Deviants is a bit of a modern day 'The Famous Five' by Enid Blyton but with much gritter issues, darker threats and main characters that aren't clear cut, whiter than white 'good guys'.


I found that I shed more than just a polite tear whilst reading this book, truth me told, I spend the whole end portion of the book ugly crying, you know the face... it's the one you never see in Hollywood movies unless the character is a bit of a tragic mess... That was me.

The Deviants is a fantastic read and one I can't wait to read again and I'm pleased to report it was another great 5/5 stars for me, it was so good that I had a house guest for a week and I forced her to spend time alone to read this book so that I could rave about it to someone in the know, at first I think she thought I was trying to tell her she had outstayed her welcome but by the end of it (whilst she also had a good cry) she was as converted as I was.

I have no clever punchline, all I have is the firm belief that if you enjoy a bit of a mystery, a tale of true friendship overcoming all and a book that will stay with you long after you close that final page, read The Deviants.

Let me know if you're picking this up when it is released on 22nd September.

Rosy xx



Book was sent free of charge, all views are my own.
SHARE:

83 comments

  1. This sounds like a great book, I'd love to give it a go! :) xx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this sounds like a cool read! Thanks for the rec, lady!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for thrillers -- adult thrillers are my faves, too! -- but this premise sounds a bit like Pretty Little Liars? Not exactly, of course, but in the fact that there is a theme of secrecy. I'm not sure what to make of that, but if you'd forced someone to read the book, I'm sure it's worth the try, haha.

    Thank you for the review, Rosy!

    MAY | WWW.THEMAYDEN.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what Pretty Little Liars is about, I've not actually watched it before but it's definitely worth a read :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful day!
    much love, Len
    www.lenparent.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this thriller! I need to add it to my list.

    http://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get round to reading it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. Great revies, would love to read it.
    Follow each other? Write on my blog.
    https://glaringwaves.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds really good :) xx

    www.fashionjazz.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! This sounds like a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    www.tessyonyia.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually don't read thrillers, I am more of a chick lit kind of reader, I love a good love story with a little bit of humor, but this story sounds really good!

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be a bit heavy for you if you aren't into darker subjects

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  10. Sounds right up my street, thanks for the review!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an amazing book! Thanks for sharing :)

    xx. Thea | www.HolaThea.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will keep this in mind, I have to finish a book I am reading and then another I picked up, but I will keep this on my list, sounds quite interesting.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you get round to it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  13. I'll add it to my list! Thriller/Horror and oddly enough self-help/enlightenment are the only books I ever read....lol

    -Clarissa @ The View From Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should enjoy this then :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a great book to read! I will definitely pick it up. :)

    xoxo <3
    The Modern Alice
    http://www.themodernalice.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl if you've given it a 5/5 then I need to read it. That's like, all there is to it really!!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That book looks intense
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds incredible! Definitely my type of book so I'm putting it on my wish list.

    Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you get round to it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  18. Thrillers always keep me on edge. Sounds like a great read.

    http://deffinatlyshaz.co.zw/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I looove a good YA novel and by the sounds of this review, this one is definitely worth a read! I may need to get this on my kindle xx
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds amazing, I love reading ;)
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful blog! I love and i follow your blog, please follow me too
    http://alamodenatine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you really enjoyed this! Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to know that you gave this book 5/5, what means that it's worth to read, I'll keep the title of it in my mind :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. The plot sounds gripping and I've always loved gradual builds of tension. On a different note, your OWN writing is brilliant; I have a feeling I'd thoroughly read through anything you wrote haha :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that, it means a lot :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  25. You had me at ugly crying 😂😂🙈
    Sounds like an exciting book sadly I haven't had a lot of reading time lately 😢

    Thank you for your comment! Very appreciated 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you related to ugly crying.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  26. I was pondering what my next book was going to be.i have a long flight home tomorrow and this sounds like the perfect book to make the flight time fly!

    www.thesundaymode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you picked it up :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  27. 5/5?? should read!
    Dora www.BangsBang.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds like it was an amazing read especially if you have to have your house guest read it so you could discuss it lol! Too bad I didn't know about it before my trip, I was looking for a good book to bring along with me!

    xoxo Rina
    http://www.andshedressed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it would have been perfect!

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  29. The post is so great! I love it so much:)
    Have a nice day!

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ohh this sounds like something I would totally enjoy, thank you for reccomending it xx

    mylifeasmarinaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to pick it up :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  31. This sounds so interesting. I will have to pop into the nearest library soon!
    x Rivania | The Glam Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like one of those books which you can't put down until you finish them, great review!

    xo
    www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. YA genre is totally my kind of books and when I read this is a modern, darker version of Enid Blyton's 'The Famous Five', I know I need to read this!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds like a fabulous read. I still love reading YA novels as I find i can still really connect to them.

    Abigail Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds like an interesting book! Never heard of it before :)
    xx
    LA VEINE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's new out, you should definitely look it up :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  36. This book sounds perfect for me I'll definitely have to give it a read!

    Lauren Ashleigh xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a well written review without spoiling much ;) It's not an easy thing to do, hon! I haven't heard of this book before and I love discovering new great reads. So this goes on my reading list!! :)
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it if you do manage to pick it up :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  38. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really love the look and sound of this book, deffo going to have to get it! x

    www.taintedblues.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig