Wednesday, 13 July 2016

Summer Days and Summer Nights Edited by Stephanie Perkins



Hello Everyone,

Today we are talking about the latest book I've read: Summer Days and Summer Nights - Edited by Stephanie Perkins.


I was sent Summer Days and Summer Nights by the publishers and I was really excited to get stuck in, I had seen pictures of this book floating around on social media, and, after being initially captivated by the stunning cover, I scoured the net to find out what this little beauty was about.

Summer Days and Summer Nights is a collection of twelve romantic short stories from some of the most talented YA authors around at the moment.


I haven't read a lot of the romance genre and I haven't read a lot of short story collections but there was something about this book that pulled me in and I'm so glad it did.


The main reason I've not read a lot of short story collections is that I'm worried the stories won't stick with me, I sometimes find that very short stories tend to slip my memory in much the same way as a magazine article does, and, whilst I really enjoy them at the time, a month or two down the line I feel like I would struggle to describe the individual stories to another person without simply settling for "it was really good" but with Summer Days and Summer Nights I didn't have this problem because each story is relatively long and detailed (some are around 50 pages long) and this gives you time to really get familiar with the writing style of each author and also to invest emotionally with the characters for the duration of their tale.
There is a good range of romantic episodes within this collection from same sex to opposite sex, fantasy and with tales so soaked in sadness or humour, it is fair to say that Summer Days and Summer Nights is a bit of an emotional roller-coaster in a brilliant way.
I think this will be perfect for most readers, the short story element means you can dip in and out with ease if you're busy or if you're not one for spending all day with your head in a book, the broad range of characters means you're bound to discover someone you relate to and the YA genre makes each story an easy and relaxing read.


Not to mention the stunning design of the book with the sun soaked edges and sky blue cover this really is a beautiful book inside and out.

Do you like short stories?

Will you be picking up Summer Days and Summer Nights?

Rosy xx

SHARE:

39 comments

  1. Sounds like a great beach read!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fantastic read :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  2. Beautifully designed book. I didn't really like short stories in school, but these are a lot longer than those so I may enjoy them better!

    http://www.thebeautybeau.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't a huge short story fan but I've been really enjoying these ones

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  3. I dont really like reading, but since it is actually short stories I think I will read it.

    wendee//theglossychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love reading short stories when I was younger and haven't read any since. But this one sounds like a nice read. I haven't read a good book in a while, the one I'm currently reading isn't pulling me in. I might just move on to the next book. Love the bright colors of the cover, so pretty and unique!
    xo, Lily
    Beauty With Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always best to just move on if you're not enjoying your book anymore, the cover is beautiful isn't it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  5. I've never truly gotten stuck in to a short stories book because I'm all about the build up and falling in love with the characters but this one sounds like I need to read it. Bloody obsessed with the book cover, that's an instagram photo waiting to happen ;)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry, I've insta'd the hell out of it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good read! Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay so yes I agree the book looks sooooo cute and would make a killer coffee table addition, but I think I feel the same as you. Short stories sort of leave me cold...I might give this a go though because it doesn't sound interesting and maybe I just gotta broaden my horizons a little, eh!

    Katie xx ¦ La Coco Noire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel like that with short stories but as these are a bit meatier it satisfies all my literary cravings.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  8. I actually love YA genre, the Mortal Instrument is one of my favourite books but haven't read anything romance related though. This actually sounds like a good book, I'll need to look for it through Amazon.ca.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a major Romance lover myself but I do like to read something like this now and then,

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great read! Thanks for sharing! Will check this out =)


    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get round to it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  10. It sounds like a great read. Also, I like them short and sweet, so I may just make this my book for the summer!

    Lauren Nicole, www.fashionkiller.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great! I'd love to read it :) Thanks for sharing
    xoxo

    http://www.myinfinitystyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love short stories too! I read one by Kazuo Ishiguro called 'Nocturnes'
    and although I did not fell in love with the book I still feel like it was so pleasant reading it! It is a collection of 5 stories if I remember correctly!
    Thank you for suggesting this one!

    I really love your blog! Followed on bloglovin!
    Dora www.BangsBang.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks Dora I'll look up Nocturnes :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  13. This is so pretty haha, never said that about a book before haha. I quite like short stories for when I'm lying by the pool, means I can dip in between reading! Not that i'll be by a pool this year though boo xx

    Tamz | http://www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I won't be by a pool either, boo hiss to life.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a good read and the cover is good. Very catchy! To be honest I haven't read a full book for a long time. Shameful! Working on it. Ha!

    http://missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a good starter, little stories to dip into :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  15. I don't really fancy short stories mainly for the same reasons as you do!
    i feel that they will not be enough and i will not have time to connect with the characters!
    This pne though,except from the beautiful cover,it sounds really interesting,i love so much some romance haha

    xx Aphrodite ~ BubblyBeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found these stories just long enough to really get into :)

      Rosyxx>

      Delete
  16. Im off on holiday this Friday and I love to read round the pool but I cannot be out in the heat for to long, so this sounds perfect for me!
    I agree about the beautiful design! Stunning. xx

    themakeupartistschoice.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I hope you pick it up :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great summer reading! And cover is amazing. I never really liked short storys because as you mentioned they didn't stick with me. But I'll might give this ones a go! xx

    Tajaljeh // https://lifeastajaljeh.blogspot.si/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, I'll bet you're converted :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig