Saturday, 7 May 2016

Sweet Home by Carys Bray | Book Review


Hi Everyone,

Today I have another book review for you all, this one is the first short story collection I've ever tried, Sweet Home by Carys Bray.




First off I'm all about the aesthetics, the cover for this collection is stunning, I love the quaint little dolls house that shows the perfect life we all want to lead and often outwardly portray (especially on social media, Facebook friends - I'm looking at some of you!), but then the fire marking to the house hints that even with the perfect facade, the effects of everyday life can be really damaging to our lives.

That is basically a sum up of the subject of this short story collection 'Sweet Home', the damaging reality of suburbia.


I gave Sweet Home 5/5 on Goodreads because I really feel like Carys Bray captures the feelings we all go through in life but can't quite explain, the all consuming sadness and despair that can hit us when we least expect it, the loss we can't even quantify when a loved one dies, the uneasy feeling of the throwaway society we are watching grow all around us, the real feeling of love.

In my eyes Carys Bray is an emotional genius to evoke such powerful feelings inside the reader with just a couple of pages for each story.

I recommend you pick this book up if you're new to short stories because you'll be amazed at how powerful each tale is, and to those of you who already love short story collections? Well you probably have this in your collection by now and if you don't, then make sure you grab it ASAP.

Have you read Sweet Home? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Rosy xx
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Great Review dear , I haven't read this before but will look for it . Have a fab weekend!

    www.stylenbeautylounge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I've never heard of this book but the cover is gorgeous and really intriguing. I'm currently reading Me Before You, and it's a lovely book! x

    vvnightingale.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh people are really loving me before you lately, I've heard some good things about it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  3. I'm so with you on the aesthetics of a cover, it immediately attracts me to a book. I've never really got stuck into short stories but this sounds amazing! 5/5 is pretty bloody good too.

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first short story collection I've tried and I really liked it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds good if you give it a 5/5! Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved the writing style :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  5. sounds like a sweet read! I'm deffo going to have to check this out! The cover is more than beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a stunning cover isn't it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. Ooooh yes I agree - that book cover is making me SO happy. How beautiful! Sounds like an interesting read, not something I'd normally pick up (I'm all about the gruesome thriller...!) but will give this a go!

    Katie. xx La Coco Noire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely more of a thriller girl myself :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig