Friday, 15 April 2016

When Anxiety is Pneumonia



Hello Everyone,

A bit of a different post today, this is going to be a personal one so sit back, grab a cuppa and get ready to read about my last few weeks of hell (definitely not being over dramatic... or just a touch)



So the story begins around a month ago, the day started simply enough, I got up, got dressed and took the dogs for a walk but halfway around my the walk I started to feel 'uneasy' almost like I was coming down with something but couldn't put my finger on what it might be, by the end of the walk I was having chest pains and by that evening I was ill, I had a headache, I was throwing up (TMI I know), I had chills and sweats, aching muscles and a very tight chest, I was pretty convinced I had flu as I was floored.

Days went by and the symptoms were getting worse - by now I was starting to struggle to breathe and so I decided it was time to visit a doctor, the GP was very sympathetic and told me I had flu and the symptoms would go in a day or two and to go home for bed rest.

Days came days went and my breathing was getting worse, I could no longer get up and down the stairs and I felt like death, back to the doctors I went. This time I was met with a different response, without examination the doctor watched me shivering away in a pool of shame and sweaty clothes as I tried to describe how I was certain I had less than four hours to live. He insisted I had nothing physically wrong with me, this was a prolonged panic episode and that I had anxiety, he then told me I needed yoga and country walks and sent me home.

The next couple of weeks are a bit of a blur, I went back and forth to the doctors trying to tell them I knew this wasn't anxiety and that I had indeed had panic attacks in the past, I've felt the tightness in my chest from anxiety and know all to well the feeling of finding it hard to get a good lungful of air whilst in the middle of anxiety but these extreme symptoms had never lasted weeks at a time, had never made me so ill I couldn't get out of bed and never made it so I could no longer lie down in bed, walk up stairs or even get into a bath myself anymore.
To spare you all the violins, I ended up back at the GP whilst she barked at me that I was 'just' anxious, I needed to calm my breathing and when I said I wasn't worried about anything she began to list things that I should be worried about... I collapsed and ended up in hospital where an X-ray showed Pneumonia in both lungs, not anxiety.

I guess there are several points to this story, the first is to trust your instincts, if you know there is something wrong don't allow yourself to be fobbed off, this is in no way a jab at the NHS - they do a fantastic job for the most part and mistakes will be made now and then just unfortunately my condition was missed by three separate GPs this time.
Mental Health is becoming much less taboo now which is great but without proper examination it can be dangerously easy to be misdiagnosed and I worry what may have happened had I not insisted on returning to my doctor over and over.

Finally I would like to ask you to bear with me while I get well, posts will not be as frequent and I have been missing from YouTube and all social media lately but things will get back to normal as I recover.

Thanks for listening and speak to you all soon

Rosy xx
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. Oh dear , you are so right about trusting your instincts, sometimes i just visit my doctor just to assure myself it isn't something serious. But hope you get better .

    www.stylenbeautylounge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely always trust yourself when you know :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you are recovering. I don't think you were being over dramatic at all with your opening lining. I have definitely lost faith in my local GP service. I get that they see a lot of patients but misdiagnosis has become more of a common occurrence than it should be. You've definitely helped reassure myself that trusting instincts is a good thing. I just can't believe that with fully visible symptoms they still fobbed you off. I'm shocked but glad you're getting better. Also, the point about mental health is a good one but I just hope it doesn't start getting used as a loop hole to send people away and tell them to just make "lifestyle changes". This comment is too long already...I may have to write a blog post on the topic now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, it is definitely becoming a common theme I think, I've heard of a lot of people being fobbed off which is a shame, I think it'll probably have something to do with people diagnosing themselves from Google and so I think doctors may be getting a bit fed up and assuming people are exaggerating their symptoms.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  3. This is so sad to read all that ... I hope you feel much better soon ♥
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hopefully I'll be back to my normal self ASAP :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  4. Oh get well soon, beauty. Take all the time you need for recovery, don't ever pressure yourself on your blog. Invest on your health, always. Take care of yourself and get all the rest that you need. See you on your next post.

    Love, Fads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg hun, I hope you're OK and feeling better!! Pneumonia is really nasty and I can't believe you were misdiagnosed for so long. Hope you're feeling better soon <3

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm hopeful I'll be back to normal soon :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. Oh no, that's so awful! And it must be hard to stand up to doctors when you're already feeling so bad! I'm glad you're getting the help you need now, and take all the time you need to get better! x

    - Anne @ Annesmiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've definitely learned to fight my corner :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this - it really does pay to trust your instincts, and thank goodness you did! Really hope you feel better soon. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it is definitely worth trusting yourself when you know something is wrong :)

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

      Delete
  8. Oh no horrible to heat but this is such an important post. Wishing you a really speedy recovery! And sending so many hugs and kisses your way. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, it's so unfortunate to have doctors who shoot you down like that without even doing diagnostic tests first. Get well soon!

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com
    * Instagram * Facebook *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hopefully they'll listen next time!

      Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig