Friday, 4 March 2016

The Over-Hyped Book | Only Ever Yours


Hi Everyone,

Another book review today and this time it's Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill.

As usual this will be spoiler free, I'm not that girl who randomly slips the ending into a review ruining it before you're halfway through a book and yet still decided to read a review anyway... Not talking from experience or anything here *shifty eyes*.



Only Ever Yours is your classic dystopian set up. The world as we know it today has ended and we are living in an alternate civilisation with all new rules to live by.
In this world we have a strange set up for girls and women in that women are bred purely for the pleasure of men, women are separated into categories based on their appearance, the best go to be wives or 'Companions', the middle range get the pleasure of being 'Concubines' which are basically prostitutes and the lowest rated women get to be 'Chastities' who are pretty much nuns who run the schools etc.

So what's right with this book?
Well the insight into a society obsessed with looks and appearances is pretty interesting, the pressure upon these girls to stay slim and beautiful can really translate to the reader, basically it seems like today's society (with the rise in eating disorders starting from a very young age and the pressure to be endlessly airbrushed and perfect) but imagine the situation today taking a hefty course of steriods and you have Only Ever Yours.
The cattiness and backstabbing of life in a group of teenage girls is captured brilliantly and took me straight back to some of the girls I knew in high school myself but these points were all I really liked about Only Ever Yours.


So what's wrong with it?
The pop culture references really let this book down, they show a huge lack of imagination in my opinion - for example, the girls like to relax by watching a reality TV show called Keeping up with the Kardashians Chilling with the Carmicheals and there are various other really obvious references like this.
Aside from the pop culture problems there is just no character development or world building, we don't ever find out how this world came to be or what is actually outside the school, the girls don't develop over time and seem pretty two dimensional to me.

Basically this book reminded me as a bit of a rip off of The Handmaid's Tale but nowhere near as well thought out or written, despite the hype it has received on blogs and within the BookTube community, I found it to be a bit of a let down.

If you've read this I'd Love to know what you thought of it?

Rosy xx
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. "Chilling with the Carmichaels"? That sounded way too obvious lol. Idk if I'm interested in this book, I think I might pass. Thank you for the review!

    MY LATEST POST
    bloglovin
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was painfully obvious :/

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  2. i haven't read this but i have read another book by louise o'neill "asking for it" and i found it so cringe worthy and i think it is very over hyped as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually preferred 'Asking For It' to this one, I found it more believable but I'm not sure I'd pick up anything else from this author.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  3. Wow ,i haven't read this book but it sounds like it captures all that we see today on both social media and on Tv,(a take down society). Great review. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    www.stylenbeautylounge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a shame you was disappointed by this, sounds like a really good concept let down by bloody awful ideas like chilling with the carmichaels haha. Love this review, spoiler reviews literally want to make me punch my screen!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoiler reviews that don't carry a warning make me furious!

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  5. I've read the Handmaid's Tale and this does sound similar in concept. A shame that it obviously hasn't worked that well in execution because I was interested at first and it could have been a really good read. But yeah, chilling with the Carmichaels is just embarrassing! Thanks for the review! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Handmaid's Tale so much I think it would be hard to beat.

      Rosy xx

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig