Saturday, 19 December 2015

I'll Be Reading You



Hello Everyone!

With less than a week to go till Christmas, blog posts have been suffering in these parts, with every penny spoken for before it even arrives, my makeup and fashion stash have remained unreplenished, so I thought I would fill you in what what I've been doing in my spare time,

Reading.


In the next month or so I'm hoping to have finished all of these books but even my cherished reading time has been cut into by the madness of Christmas!

The Black Spider:
A short, translated novel first published in 1842, the story follows a christening in a remote Swiss village that inspires an old grandad to tell the gathered crowd about the sinister events to take place in their town involving a demonic black spider and the heathen sinners, although it was written so long ago I really enjoyed this tale and itr was pretty grim!

Beware/Dark Mountain
A bind up of two Laymon books, Laymon writes some really gruesome horror books that definitely aren't for the squeamish.
Beware is about a small american town where some grizzly murders begin to take place, no one can find any trace of the culprit or any idea how he or she manages to never be seen till it is too late.
Dark Mountain follows two families on a group hike through some lakes and mountains far from civilization, meanwhile, a sinister pair of devil worshipers hide deep in the wilderness watching their every move.

Bloody Scotland
A non fiction book about the gruesome side of Old Scotland with stories of crimes committed around the country, I like non fiction, I like crime novels so I thought I'd combine the two.

Stranger Child
I read a book by this author for the first time a couple of months back and I was blown away by how good it was so I picked up another to see if I am as impressed as first time round.
Stranger Child is about a woman Called Emma who has a husband that lost his first wife and child in a tragic accident before she met him, fast forward a few years and they too have a child but a stranger walks into their lives that leaves Emma questioning what really happened to David's family all those years ago.

The Ship
A dystopian tale set in a futuristic London where the world is is turmoil, the government as we know it has fallen and the place is in disarray, Lalla's father has a ship big enough to escape with 500 chosen passengers.
Once they're all on board Lalla's unease grows by the day and she starts to question what her father really wants.

The Sisters
One twin sister dies and the other is left behind trying to survive whilst making a new start in Bath.
Bath brings her into a friendship with some unsettling, privileged characters.
Personal letters start to go missing and threatening messages are left behind, the mystery needs solved before it is too late.

Only Ever Yours
Another dystopian novel based in a future time when girls are no longer born naturally but bred in schools that train them in the art of pleasing men, at graduation, the highest rated girls get picked to become 'companions' to breed sons and live with a man till they are no longer useful.
The story follows two females within the school who are nearing their final year.

So this is what I plan on reading very soon, what are you reading at the moment?

Rosy
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. I am currently reading "All the light we cannot see". And I couldnt read half of your recommendations, as I am a big baby when it comes to scary/horror anything...

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good horror, I'm very into terrifying myself haha

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  2. Wow there is some heavy stuff in here! I have been suffering recently from not being able to find a really meaty series to get stuck into. I love the real epic novels that keep me engrossed and most of what I've gone through recently has all been a bit lacklustre if I'm honest! Only Ever Yours sounds interesting...

    Laura xx | Loved By Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bit of a bad spell with books earlier in the year but I started buying a few recommendations and found loads I loved.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  3. One thing I'm massively looking forward to over Christmas is having more time to read, I miss it so much! Love the sound of The Sisters, definitely one I'll be picking up <3

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find I have less time to read during the madness of Christmas so come the New Year I'm always dying to get back into the usual swing.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  4. great post aways looking for new reads!

    www.MyBeautySleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these are brilliant reads.

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  5. I LOVE Christmas season because I can totally curl up next to a fire and read, read, read (and stuff my face with chocolate!). I also think our taste in books couldn't be similar, there isn't one book on this list I wouldn't LOVE to read.

    I'm book marking. Thanks chiiiick.

    xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh hope you give some of them a try :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  6. I read "The Sisters" last month and it's amazing, enjoy!! At the moment, I'm reading "How to Build a Girl" by Caitlin Moran and loving it!

    Hollie // hollieinwanderlust.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to reading it :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  7. Great post. I myself need to get back on the reading band wagon, i miss it a lot!

    http://themakeup-gypsy.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try, there's nothing better than a good book xx

      Delete
  8. Great picks, The Ship and Only Ever Yours seem like such interesting reads! Love a dystopian story! xx
    Chasing Belle 23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm really looking forward to reading them :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  9. I havent read any of these! I will be adding them to my wishlist immediately!

    Lilies and Lipbalm
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you read any of them :)

      Rosy xx

      Delete
  10. Lovely reading list, mine is just as long as yours and never seems to be getting any smaller ;)

    If you're feeling generous, have a look at my blog and follow if you like what you're reading! :)

    Kawellkasell.blogspot.de

    Have a lovely day! :)

    ReplyDelete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig