Tuesday, 17 March 2015

Her by Harriet Lane | Book Review


Hello Everyone!

As you might know by now I love to read, so I thought I would pop another book review here for you.

Today we are looking at Her by Harriet Lane



The tag line for this book is 'You Don't Remember Her But She Remembers You' which is a real draw to me, I find the idea of someone mysterious from your past resurfacing in your future a little unnerving to begin with but as this book is a thriller, it helps to rev up the sinister factor.

'Her' looks at the seemingly separate lives of two woman in London of the same age, both appear to be living very normal lives - one is a stay at home mother of two, the other is a successful artist with a slightly dysfunctional family but no more so than many of us, however, a seemingly inconsequential event in one of their lives directly started a spiral of events that blow massively out of proportion at the hands of the other.
This book is very well written at the start, jumping back and forth between the two main characters ensures you're quickly sucked into their world, I was hooked from the first two chapters, the mystery of why one woman starts to unravel mentally at the sight of someone she hasn't seen in years is a page turner, however, for me things soon become a bit too sinister.

If you are a mother you might find reading this book a bit too much, I'm all for a bit of cloak and dagger but directing that dagger at a toddler (albeit a fictional toddler) is a bit too much for me, if you are less bothered by such subjects you may still enjoy this book, I personally think the author takes things a tad too far and that impacted my ability to enjoy the book, yes it is still compelling but I wasn't able to enjoy the book after the introduction of harming children, had I known that this would essentially play out as a leading theme in the book, I would never have picked up a copy as it just isn't my cup of tea.

That aside I still feel the ending of the book was seriously lacking, it seems like the book ends suddenly mid story, I don't know if that was for dramatic effect or if it was a tactic to leave space for a sequel but either way I was left feeling like I had eaten half a meal then had it removed before my eyes.

Overall I wouldn't really recommend this book because even if the subject matter doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth, the abrupt ending probably will.

Have you read this book?
What did you think of the ending or the taboo of messing with someone's children?

Rosy xxx
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I haven't read this but it sounds intriguing... however your description of the ending mirrors just how I felt about a book I read recently (The Luminaries). It just ended. As if the author just decided she didn't want to right anymore - so aggravating! So I'm not sure if I can read this now... I can't suffer that disappointment again so soon haha!
    www.lovedbylaura.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is how I felt, cheated haha, no it's not really one I would recommend.

      Rosy x

      Delete
  2. Ooh I love these kind of mystery/thriller books! Definitely going to track down this one... your review reminds me a bit of how I felt about Before I Go To Sleep - abrupt ending and a bit of a weird story line! Lucy, www.aspectatorsport.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost bought that book the other week, abrupt endings ruin it for me though, I like all ends to be tied up.
      Rosy x

      Delete
  3. I haven't come across Harriet Lane before, but the premise of this book sounds really interesting - I think I might add this one to my list (although it just keeps growing and growing at the moment!) and give it a go sometime :)
    Sian xx Rebel Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book wish list is out of control! I have so many wants in my Amazon basket haha.
      Rosy xx

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig