Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham Book Review


Hi Everyone!

Today I'm reviewing a book I've recently read by Lena Dunham (the creator of the tv show Girls) called Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's Learned .



If you've been a fan of the tv series 'Girls' you will love this book, it is basically like reading the inner monologue of the lead character, except this time it is the biography of Lena Dunham.
Filled with the same shocking dark humour (incest jokes push it a little too far for me) and candidly honest to the point of brutal views and personal anecdotes, this book brings everything you loved or hated from the tv show and then gives you more.

It is unlike any other book I've read before and was a little uncomfortable in places - a bit like lunch with a friend who thrives on TMI, however I found this made the book compelling too, I just had to know more.
There are laugh out loud bits and bits that most of us can relate to (such as convincing yourself you have a deadly disease thanks to internet searches). There are parts that will make you want to cry (including a story about rape) but most of all you will feel like you're listening to a friend have a rant or 10 (albeit a slightly crazed neurotic friend that seems tortured by their own sense of being).

Overall it is definitely worth a read and I guarantee you won't have read anything else like this, if it doesn't seem like your genre of choice I still urge you to give it a chance, you might enjoy it.

Have you read this book? What were your opinions?

Rosy xxx
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I"ve been hearing great things about this book! Great review! =)

    NEW POST on http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeey! Hope you have a great day!
    Do you want to follow each other via bloglovin? If yes, just follow me there and I'll follow you back soon!


    http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/anna-alina-3947784

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't quite decide whether to read this or not, although this is persuading me to give it a chance. I'm currently listening to Caitlin Moran's 'How to Be a Woman' on Audible which sounds in the same genre - one minute I'm giggling and the next not sure if I want to be hearing what I'm hearing! xx
    www.lovedbylaura.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I've been debating picking that one up myself and it does sound a bit like the same genre. I feel a bit like they'll be in the 'read once' pile, glad I've read them but won't be revisiting.
      Rosy x

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig