Friday, 10 October 2014

Quick Book Review - Spare Brides by Adele Parks


Hello Everyone,

Today I'm doing a new kind of post - a quick book review.
I've seen book reviews popping up on other blogs I follow and I love reading them so I thought I would add my two pence worth.

Hope you enjoy it!



First off, I'd like to apologise for the state of my copy of this book, it came everywhere when I was reading it and it ended up a tad tattered.

Spare Brides is unlike any of Adele Parks' previous books, it is actually her first foray into writing a period novel.
The story is centred around 4 women in the aftermath of the Great War, unlike previous  books by Parks, these women aren't your ordinary, everyday women, these women are high society - the 'elite' if you will.
The 4 women are called Lydia (the real lead character - appears to be traditional) Ava (American 'new money' with a carefree flamboyance and a rebel attitude) Beatrice (unattractive spinster desperate to secure a husband) and Sarah (a widow with two young children).

The book is very well written and the attention to detail is fantastic as we follow the daily lives of these 4 women torn apart by the hardship of war and the loss of so many men.
We watch Ava carelessly sleep around and act in a carefree way more befitting to the 60s than the 20s (perhaps the Americans hit the sexual revolution before the UK did...)
We watch Sarah fade into the background until we start nearing the end of the book, we discover Lydia isn't as she seems and we watch Beatrice come across desperate as she relentlessly tries to snare any man who is single (although we are constant reminded that she is just not pretty enough).

I struggled to get into this book, I normally love Adele Parks but this book did nothing for me in the fact that I didn't like any of the characters and thus I found myself not really caring what happened to them which was a shame.
I found the conversation between the women and their inner monologues to be a bizarre mash up of modern times and 20s cliché.

Having had a look online, most the reviews seem positive so my opinion might be in the minority so don't let it put you off trying this book if you wish but bear in mind that Parks has written much better books in the past and in my opinion, this one just doesn't cut it.

I hear she is writing another historical novel which I will be giving a miss but I'm looking forward to her return to more familiar waters.

And there we have it,
I hope you enjoyed this quick review.
Toodles xxx
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig