Thursday, 13 February 2014

The Worst Lip Balm I Have Ever Tried

Follow on Bloglovin

Hello Everyone,
Today we have a bad review which is rare on Sparkles of Light as I generally prefer to write about products I am loving, however, sometimes you come across a product so bad that not throwing the occasional 'boo hiss!!' Would be a crime!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Rose Petal Salve by Rose & Co. Apothecary.



The Rose & Co. Apothecary describe this is as "a fabulous lip salve and also helpful for dry patches and rough skin, there seems to be no end to the uses of this magical little balm"
Oh Rose &Co. I disagree, oh I really disagree.

First off lets discuss the packaging, the packaging is the one thing I did like, I know a lot of people hate lip products in a tin but as I usually use tinned products in my house, it doesn't worry me too much with regards to outside germs being on your fingers.
The tin is very cute, it looks vintage (Rose & Co. Apothecary are inspired by vintage style and have actually helped out in channel 4 productions, such as 'The 1940s House', 'The Victorian House' and 'The Edwardian House') and I love vintage style pieces, it was actually the packaging that swayed me to buy this product in the first place, it is pink and cute.
Inside, the balm is pinky coloured too which is very pretty, but this my friends, is where it all went downhill.
The smell is a bit... 'Off' sort of floral (rose) with a hint of washing up liquid, dig into the product and it has a little bit of the texture of Dior Creme de Rose but when you apply it to your lips, rather than feel like it is sinking in and nourishing your lips as the Dior Creme de Rose does, this just sits there, feeling sticky and a bit uncomfortable.
Next up is the real treat, once this horror is on your mouth, the slight rose scent disappears fully and all you can smell is washing up liquid, not even nice washing up liquid, we're talking smart price, bog standard, green washing up liquid, and it is strong!
If that wasn't unpleasant enough, soon all you can taste is washing up liquid, it is like eating poison.



Finally, the icing on the cake is that I had a reaction to this salve, soon after applying I felt like the skin around my mouth was itching, after using the balm I had red patches around my mouth that took over a week to go,

All in all, if you want to buy this product, I got mine from Waitrose for £5, you can also (by checking their website) pick it up in Harrods, House of Fraser and some independent retailers... Alternatively you could save yourself a couple of quid and buy some cheap washing up liquid and give it a good old lick.

Toodles xxx

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. wow that does not sound nice at all ! thanks for your honest opinion lovely !
    Melissa x

    theinkedblonde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) glad you enjoyed the review, sometimes you just have to warn people :) xx

      Delete
  2. Ewwwww! How can something that looks so pretty be so nasty?! Boo hiss, indeed. x x

    Claire | AgentSmyth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I know! I had high hopes for this but yuk... Just yuk xx

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig