Friday, 3 January 2014

Too Faced - A Few of My Favorite Things Review and Swatches

Follow on Bloglovin

Hello Everyone!

Today I am doing a review on a lovely palette I picked up in the Debanhams sale.
There are a few left in Debenhams around the country (I have checked) and so if you want this, get out there, they're still available.
The palette is from Too Faced and it is called 'A Few of My Favorite Things'
It was originally supposed to be £48 but in the sale it is now £32.16... Random 16p there but that is the price hehe.
Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches

Inside this box is a zip up makeup case with the same design as the outer box, inside the case is the actual palette, a mini Too Faced 'Better Than Sex' mascara and a full sized' Lip Injection Color Bomb' in the shade 'Bee Sting'
The actual palette is very slimline and the same design as the outer box and the zip up case. It is very lightweight and will be perfect for travel as it is so slim it will slide easily into a travel bag.
Flip it open and there are 20 eyeshadows, 2 bronzers and 2 blushers. This is fantastic as the norm in palettes tends to be shadows and a mirror but this time, Too Faced have missed out a mirror and instead you get more room for products.
The palette is mainly shimmer and glitter shades but there are a few mattes in there too. Another quirky little feature I love is that some of the shade names come straight from the 'Few of My Favorite Things' song from the film 'The Sound of Music' and I love that movie.

Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches

Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches


I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the colour scheme on the outer packaging, it just isn't my cup of tea but I do like the added makeup bag as even if it isn't quite my style, I will still use it for travel.

On to the products.

The blushers and bronzers in the bottom half of the palette are lovely.
The swatches above show (starting from the top): 
  • Raindrops on Roses: A baby pink shimmer blush. very subtle but definitely buildable.
  • Melt Into Spring: A gorgeous matte blush in a pink toned coral. This is a stunning blush and definitely one I would have bought as a single.
  • Chocolate Soliel: I love this, it actually smells of chocolate! If you aren't a fan of scented things this might not be one for you as the scent is pretty strong in the pan, however, on your face, the scent seems to go. I think this shade is very much like NARS Laguna bronzer, matte and the perfect tan shade. I will get a lot of use out of this.
  • Sun Bunny: A two tone bronze shimmer, you can use them separately or combine them as I did in my swatch. This would make a nice bronze highlight as the golden shimmer running through would be a bit much for a full face (unless you like a very shimmery look, if that's your thing - go for it!).


The lip injection is also lovely.
Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches

These balm/lipstick/pencil hybrids are everywhere at the moment and lots of brands have been flooding us with their offerings, this one is a very nice addition, a pretty peachy nude shade that will go with either a natural makeup look or can be paired with a dramatic eye look for a perfect finish.
I personally didn't really notice any lip plumping with this but it did give me a nice wash of pretty colour.
Wear time is around 2-3 hours.

Moving on to the eyeshadows, as I said earlier there are 20 shades in this palette and you could create a vast array of looks with the variation presented here:
Most of the shades perform well, they all blend easily and wear time with primer is around the 7 hour mark, however, a couple of the shades aren't up to the standard of the rest of the palette which you will see in the swatches and descriptions below.
Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches

  • Snowflakes: A very pretty white shimmer shade. 
  • Cream Coloured Ponies: A matte cream colour with a hint of beige.
  • Coquet: A baby pink and gold shimmer. Swatched on bare arm this shade doesn't look too impressive but worn over a white shadow base, this colour pops and is a beautiful colour.
  • Tinsel: An antique gold shimmer.
  • Whiskers on Kittens: A peachy gold shimmer. This was one of the shades that was a bit off, hardly any of the base colour transferred, it took a bit of building to get anything other than just glitter and then when it did transfer, it seemed to react a bit and end up changing colour so that it looked wet around the edges... I've not had this happen with an eyeshadow before. 
  • Honey Honey: A very yellow toned bronze shimmer.
  • Taffy: A bubblegum pink shimmer shade.
  • Bluff: A deep royal blue with purple shimmer.
Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches

  • Chocolate Milk: As the name suggests, this is a chocolate brown coloured matte shade but with a hint of apricot too.
  • Buche de Noel: An earthy brown with a a silver shimmer.
  • Crisp Apple Strudel: A peachy beige with silver and gold shimmer.
  • Ooh la Orchid: A gorgeous burnt fuchsia matte.
  • Moon on Their Wings: This is another one of the 3 shades that were a bit below standard in this palette, a pretty champagne shade but with the chunkiest silvery glitter particles that get everywhere, in the eyes, in your hair, on your face, on your dogs...
  • Evergreen: A beautiful forest green colour with green shimmers running through.
  • Woolen Mittens: A mid brown matte shade. This is a fantastic crease colour for a smokey eye look.
  • Party Time: The last shade in the trio of shame, a navy base with electric blue glitter that falls out everywhere and takes a lot of building to get the base colour, resulting in more glitter for you and everywhere you might go to.
Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches

  • Dark Chocolate: A blackened brown matte shade.
  • Blue Satin Sashes: A deep ocean blue with golden glitter.
  • Soiree: A deep burgundy shimmer.
  • Pure Glam: Black with silver glitter, the glitter in the shade transfers well onto lids with a primer.
The Sparkles 5
Too Faced A Few Of My Favorite Things Review Swatches

As you can see this palette gets a 19.5 out of 25 on The Sparkles 5 scale.
Wear Time was just above average with a primer, 7 hours or so, so although pretty good, its not astounding.
Lust Factor is pretty high, this is an amazing palette and I love it, the very fact that it is limited edition and on sale at the moment adds to its wantability.
Formula was good, apart from the 3 I discussed earlier, the shades are all gorgeous and blend beautifully, transfer easily onto the eye and look very pretty.
Pigmentation lost a few points as a couple of the shades needed building up to enable the base colour to really pop.
Packaging lost half a point due to the fact I didn't like the colour design on the front, the actual slimline palette, the way the shades are presented and the removal of a mirror to get more shades or face products in there all make a winner to me.
Overall I really rate this palette and I'm so glad I came across it and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I had my chance over.

Will you be picking this up or do you already have it?

Toodles xxx



  












SHARE:

2 comments

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig