Monday, 16 September 2013

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation Review

Hello Everyone!

Ah skinbase. Skinbase skinbase skinbase. This is one foundation that seems to have huge divided opinion, where skinbase foundation is concerned there doesn't seem to be any reviews that are just so so, people seem to either love it or hate it.
I know many reviews have already been written about this but I feel my review is worth a quick skim because I've been at both ends of the spectrum, firstly hating skinbase more than any other foundations I've tried, to my current state of mind which is I love this foundation and I will repurchase it.

Lets start with why I originally hated it.
I assumed skinbase would work in the same way as my other foundations, I was wrong, I squeezed out the same amount I use with my other foundations and applied it with my sleek buffing brush and the result was cakey, patchy and massively emphasised my pores and fine lines. In short I looked old, not just old but an old idiot who had slammed her face repeatedly into a pile of make up, not good.
I tried a couple of times, with powder, without powder, primer, no primer etc but no the result was the same, nasty.
This resulted in skinbase being demoted to the back of my foundation drawer never to see the light of day again. Poor skinbase.
Fast forward a few months and I was looking through Instagram pictures and I noted a few girls with flawless makeup, what foundation were they wearing? Skinbase! So I researched application, reviews, techniques and I came to the conclusion that the 'it's not you it's me' breakup we had suffered was actually true in this case, it was me.
I had been applying it wrong, I had been using too much and I had been using the wrong brush. So without further ado this is why I now love skinbase.
Lets start with the packaging, I love the packaging, illamasqua products are beautiful, they feel good to hold, they look nice in your collection and they just look and feel expensive, I am a bit of a packaging junkie, there are some brands I won't use simply because I don't like their packaging.
The bottle is made of plastic which means you can travel easily with it, I will say however that the bottle is a squeeze top which works well in theory - being able to squeeze just the right amount out, less waste etc - it will be difficult to get the last bits of foundation out as the design is a square base but overall I love this packaging.
The smell, yum. It smells of caramel and vanilla, the smell is soft so as to not overpower you if you don't like scented products.
Pigmentation is amazing, you don't need very much at all to get good coverage and that was my problem before, I was using way too much even though I was only using about the size of a pea on each side of my face, for my face I only need the size of a pea for my whole face, this has helped explain why I looked so cakey before. Also, since I have started using less it settles into my lines and pores less and that is a very good thing!
Lets talk application, I was using a real techniques buffing brush and this just doesn't work, illamasqua recommend that you use their highlighter brush to apply this foundation, so in good faith I bought this brush, *insert sound of angels singing* this brush gets the job done, make sure you have prepped your skin before use as it can cling to dry patches, (I find that pairing skinbase with Illamasqua's hydra veil works really well) then you just use the highlighter brush to buff and press your foundation into your face, it does take longer to work skinbase into your skin than other foundations I have tried but in my opinion, the end result it worth it.
I set my foundation very lightly with a setting powder, at the minute I have been using Too Faced Candlelight pressed powder to add to the glow that skinbase leaves you with and with all these steps I find that I get around 8-9 hours wear out of my foundation, after this time it does seem to start settling into my pores again and looking a little bit oily but I rarely wear foundation longer than that amount of time at the minute anyway.
So there we have it, my little review on a controversial product dividing beauty lovers online :)
Till next time,
Toodles!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. What kind of coverage does this give? I'm needing a new foundation and this one keeps popping up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hiya, I would say medium to full but to get full you have to build it up which can settle into fine lines if you have them.

      Delete

© Sparkles of Light. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig